Monday, February 19, 2007

Will Murtha Be Drafted?

According to Robert Novak in today's WaPo, Rep. John Murtha has the reins of Congress' Iraq policy. This could be good for Democrats: he's a moderate and a decorated veteran, and was not - until Pelosi's elevation - a strong party insider.

Naturally, this raises the question: will Murtha be drafted to run for president in 2008? He is the natural successor to the Democrats' electoral victory in 2006, when moderates knocked off pro-administration Republican incumbents. Murtha probably can't win: he's too old, and doesn't have the star power of Hillary or Obama, but the same sudden muscularity that has led him to take the driver's seat in Congress could easily lead him to throw his weight into the raucous presidential fray.

Today, he clocks into Google News with 862 chatter. According to yesterday's Chatter Rankings, that puts him on the radar, but not among the serious Democrat contenders. More pointedly, none of the stories mentions him as a candidate yet.

Global Review will keep an eye on Murtha going forward.

2 comments:

Karen said...

Hey Salim!

It's Karen G. from NU. We went to CCC/Agape together back in the day.

I blog now and I was thinking about the first blog I ever read and it was yours so I decided to do a Google search to see if you still blogged and that's how I landed here.

Drop by my blog and leave me a comment. I'd like to see what you think since you're the one who introduced me to blogging back in 2001/2002 (which I really didn't "get" then).

Take care and God bless!

-Karen

http://solshine7.blogspot.com
http://scifijournalist.blogspot.com

p.s. I'm gonna add you to my blogroll.

Macro Guy said...

Thank you, I'm honored! I'll send you an email...