Sunday, July 29, 2007

An Adage

The most powerful philosophical challenge to Christianity is this: How could a good Creator knowingly create beings destined for damnation? This has been addressed in many books, sermons, and dialogs. God gave me, as I questioned Him on this point, a pithy answer:
Any being with the moral intelligence to question the goodness of its Creator also has the moral intelligence to choose to obey or disobey, to worship or not to worship that Creator.
This is a spiritual cogito ergo sum. Restated in Cartesian terms:
I question, therefore I am accountable.
That is, God is just in judging me - even to the point of damnation - since I bear witness to my own moral freedom.

I do not pretend to have resolved the greatest question in the universe in a 100-word blog entry. However, any great question deserves many essays, and this I offer in that spirit.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like it.

ali baba