Thursday, November 2, 2006

Student Poets: Khadija Aamari

Original in Arabic; translated by the author.

Forgive Me

Tomorrow is my wedding to my Helenic king
He gave my family money and strength
But I won’t forget you
Your love and goodness

Tomorrow is my wedding and
day of sadness
Do you think I will forget you?
And every time I remember you
I don’t know why my family sold me
Sold me for money
One man loves long black hair
And white skin
Opposite of you
You told my eyes a story of goodness
I know after tomorrow I don’t have life
Oh, how will the day be passed without you?
A very good life awaits me
With one king
And this man’s grandchildren will command his empire
Forgive me

You are better than everything in life
And you aren’t and will not be forgotten
Take me for life
Please don’t tell me that you are my toy
With which I pass my free time
Because you and I play a game of destiny
And are sentenced to this life
Forgive me

Time sentences us now
And the wedding dress arrives now
Made of silk and expensive jewels
And a queen’s crown
Made of corals and pearls
Shoes made of grass
And best diamonds in this world
But for me, everything is a dark night
Because you are life, strong
And rich
Forgive me


Previous posts in this series include two by Rkiya Bouya, one by Mohamed Mehra, and two by Khadija.

No comments: