Monday, March 5, 2007

Obama Preaches The Faith

Barack Obama used the pulpit in Selma, Alabama, today, at an event marking the 52nd anniversary of the march on Montgomery. His sermon established that he's willing to move beyond generalities in racial issues. The full text is here (along with a sermon by Hillary Clinton), but here are what I consider the highlights:
On his heritage: You see, my Grandfather was a cook to the British in Kenya. Grew up in a small village and all his life, that's all he was -- a cook and a house boy. And that's what they called him, even when he was 60 years old. They called him a house boy. They wouldn't call him by his last name. Sound familiar? ...So don't tell me I don't have a claim on Selma, Alabama. Don't tell me I'm not coming home to Selma, Alabama.

On black attitudes: One of the signature aspects of the civil rights movement was the degree of discipline and fortitude that was instilled in all the people who participated. Imagine young people, 16, 17, 20, 21, backs straight, eyes clear, suit and tie, sitting down at a lunch counter knowing somebody is going to spill milk on you but you have the discipline to understand that you are not going to retaliate because in showing the world how disciplined we were as a people, we were able to win over the conscience of the nation. I can't say for certain that we have instilled that same sense of moral clarity and purpose in this generation. Bishop, sometimes I feel like we've lost it a little bit.

...if parents don't turn off the television set when the child comes home from school and make sure they sit down and do their homework and go talk to the teachers and find out how they're doing, and if we don't start instilling a sense in our young children that there is nothing to be ashamed about in educational achievement, I don't know who taught them that reading and writing and conjugating your verbs was something white.

...We have too many children in poverty in this country and everybody should be ashamed, but don't tell me it doesn't have a little to do with the fact that we got too many daddies not acting like daddies. Don't think that fatherhood ends at conception. I know something about that because my father wasn't around when I was young and I struggled.
This is a lot more interesting than the usual campaign trope. Wouldn't it be wonderful if candidates actually had a "brains race", instead of the usual pandering?

4 comments:

dcsinsi said...

This does sort of fly in the face of what normally comes out of a candidate's mouth. Also, thanks for the Romney news, I started liking him a few weeks ago, so it's good to understand why I like him.

Anonymous said...

Dave,

If you started to like someone wouldn't you have to have reasons to like him, even if they were dumb ones?

ali baba

dcsinsi said...

I didn't say I didn't have any reasons to like him, it was just that Salim gave my reasons a solid idea. Such as the difference between civic and personal faith. While I disagree with Romney's personal faith, I agree with the civic ideas he has communicated so far.

Karen said...

Very interesting. It would be nice if the presidential race was more about what the canidates stood for instead of smearing someone else's campaign.